Pages

How to Spot a Scam

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

John Mark/ Jeremy Silver "Family"

















Thank you to everyone who submitted these photos to us. Look closely do these people look familiar? These photos are being emailed by a scam artist named John Mark who also uses the name Jeremy Silver, and trolls websites such as SitterCity and Craigslist to con people out of money. We have no idea who these people are, or if they even though their image is being circulated around the world in an attempt to cheat people.

If these photos have been sent to you please be aware of why you have received them. Further contact with this individual may put you on a path to a deep dark scam artist rabbit hole.
Hello
I understand the job position you?ve chosen now, and it will really help us. The information about the games we need for Maria with the Nintendo Ds is below:
1) Nintendo DS Game (Color Pink)
7) Game Discs e.g Shrek, Dora the Explorer, Diego, Little Mermaid, Hannah Montana, Mario Brothers, Pokemon, Cartoon, or other similar educational ones that is good for her age.
Go to any game stores in your area like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City or Target and ask them for seven deferent games that will be okay for her age and let me know the price for everything all together and I will instruct my Associate to send Money to you for purchasing the Nintendo DS and Game Discs ahead of our arrival.
The reason why I can?t go online and purchase the Nintendo Ds and the game discs is because the stores in America don?t take international credit cards and they don?t ship abroad, and because it will be like a welcome gift for Maria when you bring it on the day we are meeting for the first time.
As I explained before that we are from Belgium live in Cambodia as foreign investors, I and my wife are into Wine Production/Supply. And that is what we are coming to establish over there as well. We are presently blessed with one child and we are still planning for two more by God's grace. We are friendly and reasonable hard working family.
Maria is a very gentle and active girl, she like meeting new friends as well and has no allergies, she is excited in places like the beach, museum, zoological gardens etc She is very obedient and doesn?t get provoked so easily and sometimes she could be angry like most kids do, when this happens, just try and pet her and she becomes more interesting.
Basically your work while you are on duty is to make sure that Maria is always save in your care, keep her room and clothes clean, and to take her for an outing sometimes. Definitely there will be another person in charge of house cleaning, cooking and general house work. We will be working away from home when we get over there. My wife is permanently stay in office while am out for marketing.
There is no problem as regards the kind of food Maria eats because she adapts so easily. She can eat normal adult western food and like I said she can adapt to any new nutrition. Her nap is 12 noon for 1hour. She will be home schooled when we get there.
We will surely meet as soon as we arrive on the 5th of December 2008 at any location you do prefer. You may take someone along with you if that will make you more comfortable.
Issues like your vacation schedule/holidays will be jointly addressed during our first meeting.
I have attached my family picture to you in this message.
Please do not forget to furnish us with information about the price of the Nintendo Ds and the Games Discs.
The pay is weekly as i mentioned before.
Thanks

On Friday, November 14, 2008, at 10:35PM, "sue smith"wrote:
Hi Jeremy,
That's great news! I'm excited to work with Maria and your family. Can I ask>you: do you work from home? What business is your family in? Where does>Maria attend school?>>I would like to work bother the Wednesday to Friday, 4-7 shift and the>Saturday to Sunday shift, if that is okay with you.>>About transportation: I know you mentioned you live in Jersey City. How>would you like me to travel back and forth from my home in (With held upon request) to>yours? I'm attaching some pictures of me and of my two cats so you can>better get an idea of who I am.>>Let me know if you have any questions. I intend to check the prices on the video games this weekend.
Cheers,
Sue

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Jeremy Silver <jsilver@me.com> wrote:>>> Greetings!>>>> How are you today? I hope fine! I am very happy for your response to the>> offer, so this message is just to let you know that you have been accepted>> for the job. Your work is to commence as soon as we arrive over there on the>> 5th of December 2008.>>>> I will like to let you know the amount for each offer again, so everything>> can be well understood by you:>>>> Monday to Friday (8:00am-3:30pm) is ==$600.00,>> Wednesday to Friday (4:00pm-7:00pm) is $300.00>> Saturday to Sunday $300 (8:00am-3:30pm) Pls Note: Since we will be going to>> church on Sunday with Maria you have an advantage of resuming working at>> 11.00am on Sunday.>>>> So if you choose the Monday to Friday option, you can also choose the both>> offer if you think you are fit for the both, but let me know the actual>> offer you choose.>>>> Once again The name of our daughter is Maria, 5 years and 3 months old. She>> likes watching cartoons very much and she loves playing video games.>>>> You are free to ask what ever question you like to know about my family,>> and am very sure that you will love working with my family, I will also scan>> my family pictures to you in my next email and explain much about my family>> and about Maria to you.>>>> I want you to go and price (1 Nintendo DS Game, with 7 different Games Disc>> price at any, Best Buy, Circuit City , or any other game stores in your>> area) that you will bring along with you for my child when you are coming to>> resume your job, because she wants something new and the types that are>> available in Cambodia are made in Cambodia characters. That is reason I>> need you to assist me buy this for her, so make sure you get back to me with>> the price of the games, so I can arrange how the money will get over to you>> as soon as possible.>>>> You can call me on my phone number 011-855-99320793 anytime.>>>> Thanks very much.>>>> Jeremy Silver


On Friday, November 14, 2008, at 09:40AM
Hi Jeremy->> >I apologize for my late response; I've been a bit ill.>> >>> >Here is more about me. I've worked mostly with girls, ages 8-14 and tend>> to>> >relate best to them, though I enjoy working with kids of all ages. I've>> >nannied for families on the Upper East Side and SoHo, mostly.>> >>> >My appointment was not terminated by any of my previous employers. I'm in>> a>> >relationship but not married and I have no children of my own. I'd like to>> >work with you for as long as possible, as I believe that consistency is>> >healthy for children--probably 6 months or 1 year.>> >>> >I grew up in a small town in (With held) and moved to (With held) attend college in the fall of 2000. I've lived here ever since. I live>> with>> >two roommates and two cats in (With held) .>> >>> >Please let me know if you have additional questions.>> >>> >Cheers,>> >Sue>> >>> >On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Jeremy Silver <jsilver@me.com> wrote:>> >>> >> Hello Sue,>> >>>> >> Thanks for the response. I am so sorry for my late response, I have>> been>> >> so busy lately.>> >>>> >> We'll like to know more about you if you don't mind, I mean like the>> kind>> >> of people you've worked with in the past ?, What is the assurance that>> you>> >> will be able to resume to work on time? Has your appointment been>> terminated>> >> by any of your previous employer? If so give reason for this. Are you>> >> single? a single mother ? married ? For how will you be able to work for>> us>> >> ? You could all also supply any additional information like your birth>> >> place, location where you grew up. etc>> >>>> >> Your response to these will play a major role in qualifying you for>> the>> >> job position.>> >>>> >> The job is going to last long, all depends on how long you will like to>> >> work for us. Your choice could be 3months, 6months, 1 year or more.>> >>>> >> Awaiting your prompt response>> >>>> >> Jeremy Silver

On Wednesday, November 05, 2008, at 09:37PM
Hi, I would be available to work the Wednesday to Friday as well as the Saturday and Sunday shifts. I would need a car to transport me, as I live in (With held upon request). Let me know if you need any additional information from me.>> I've>> >> >sent you my resume and references.
Cheers,
Sue

Hello, how are you doing today? Hope fine. I just want to use this>> channel>> >> >to ask if you will be available to work for my family. My name is>> Jeremy>> >> >Silver and my wife name is Jennie Silver, we are living and working as>> a>> >> >foreign investor in Phnom Penh which is the capital city of Kingdom Of Cambodia, but we are from Belgium by origin, we will be relocating to United State on the 5th of December, w e need someone who will start working>> with>> >> >our family on 5th of December 2008, because we're going to be very busy>> >> that>> >> >is why we need someone to be in charge of our child. The name of our>> child>> >> >is Maria, 5 years and about 3 months old. We need someone during the>> week>> >> >(Monday to Friday) and another person on weekend (Saturday and Sunday),>> We>> >> >will need someone as well for (Wednesday from to Friday evening, 4pm to>> >> 7pm)>> >> >you will be resuming work by 8am and close by 3:30pm from Monday to>> >> Friday.>> >> >On weekend, Saturday you will resume work by 8am to 3:30pm, but o n>> Sunday>> >> >you will resume by 11am to 3:30pm, because we will be going to church>> >> >together with her. The third offer is from 4pm to 7pm. Our offer for>> >> Monday>> >> >to Friday is $600.00 and for weekend is $300.00, and the Wednesday to>> >> Friday>> >> >evening is $300.00 as well. Just choose the one that please you or let>> me>> >> >know if you can do both, which will be seven days all together, and>> your>> >> >money will be added together for you. A car can be provided for you, if>> >> >needed. Our new house address is 45 RIVER DR S APT 3210, JERSEY CITY NJ>> >> >07310-3741 that's where your service is needed at. I want you to>> contact>> >> me>> >> >through my personal email, so i can always receive your message in>> time,>> >> >because am always on it, GET BACK TO ME THROUGH MY EMAIL)>> jsilver@me.com.>> >> I>> >> >will be waiting to hear from soon, you can also contact me through my>> >> >phone.....011-85599320793. Contact me back with your references to know>> >> >you're capable of taking care of our child. Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:53 AM, Jeremy S. <>> marie021@users.sittercity.com>wrote:>> This message was sent by another Sittercity User. Hello, how are you doing today? Hope fine. I just want to use this>> >> channel>> >> >> to ask if you will be available to work for my family. My name is>> Jeremy Silver and my wife name is Jennie Silver, we are living and working>> as a>> >> >> foreign investor in Phnom Penh which is the capital city of Kingdom>> Of Cambodia, but we are from Belgium by origin, we will be relocating to United State on the 5th of December, w e need someone who will start working with our family on 5th of December 2008, because we're going to be very>> busy that is why we need someone to be in charge of our child. The name of our>> >> child is Maria, 5 years and about 3 months old. We need someone during the>> >> week (Monday to Friday) and another person on weekend (Saturday and>> Sunday), We will need someone as well for (Wednesday from to Friday evening, 4pm>> to>> >> 7pm)>> >> >> you will be resuming work by 8am and close by 3:30pm from Monday to>> >> Friday.>> >> >> On weekend, Saturday you will resume work by 8am to 3:30pm, but o n>> >> Sunday>> >> >> you will resume by 11am to 3:30pm, because we will be going to church>> >> >> together with her. The third offer is from 4pm to 7pm. Our offer for>> >> Monday>> >> >> to Friday is $600.00 and for weekend is $300.00, and the Wednesday to>> >> Friday>> >> >> evening is $300.00 as well. Just choose the one that please you or>> let>> >> me>> >> >> know if you can do both, which will be seven days all together, and>> your>> >> >> money will be added together for you. A car can be provided for you,>> if>> >> >> needed. Our new house address is 45 RIVER DR S APT 3210, JERSEY CITY>> NJ>> >> >> 07310-3741 that's where your service is needed at. I want you to>> contact>> >> me>> >> >> through my personal email, so i can always receive your message in>> time,>> >> >> because am always on it, GET BACK TO ME THROUGH MY EMAIL)>> >> jsilver@me.com.>> >> >> I will be waiting to hear from soon, you can also contact me through>> my>> >> >> phone.....011-85599320793. Contact me back with your references to>> know>> >> >> you're capable of taking care of our child. Thanks.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

This jerk sent these to me as well. He is very convincing. Thank you thank you thank you. The check is supposedly on its way and I would have been taken if it weren't for your site! I will be reporting him as well.

Unknown said...

Okay these people sent me two money orders for $980 what do I do?

Anonymous said...

I also was a victim to this scam. Same pictures and verbatim emails. Anyone who was scammed by this or any other internet scammers needs to file a complaint with www.ic3.gov as well as the website (ie: sittercity, craigslist). I felt stupid when I first realized I had been scammed, but after that I realized that the only thing to do was to fight back. Please, please, please, file a report so we can put an end to this nonsense.

Anonymous said...

I also was a victim to this scam.
same everything.And I also lossed my money for him now my account had negative so sad!

lynsey. said...

surprise surprise. i also am victim. i started contact in the beginning of november when he was still using "john mark". i meet with the police tomorrow and have already filed fraud with western credit union. so far only one of the money orders came up fraudulent to my checking but the other hasn't. i'm in the whole and trying to seek god's peace through the situation. this is devistating.

Robin said...

I just found out all this was a scam. I received all the same information, to the letter. Fortunately I deposited the 2 money orders ($980 each) on the weekend and they had not cleared when he called me with the Western Union instructions. The money from the checks disappeared from my account today, but I didn't lose any of my own money. I will be reporting this to the police and to my bank tomorrow morning.

Anonymous said...

I am a victim as well. Stupidly I sent money to him.. little did I know this was a scam. I called the western union, my bank, filed a complaint on internet customer something, and got a attorney general number... I was seriously going to hire a private investigator to find this person, and to punish him. Did anybody find him??? It's glad to know that there are people out there who was victimized, so we can all help each other and let our voice heard. I was so freaked out that I won't ever get my money back.

Anonymous said...

I just got caught up in this mess as well. It is scary that he actually went and found a house for sale in my local area and claimed that that was his new address. I got all the same emails and all the same pictures but it was under the name of DAVID OMIYALE. I have not found anything anywhere with this name so I am wondering if it a new one hes using. Although it is all of the same everything so beware of a David O or David Omiyale too. I think thats John Marks new name. Thankfully I stopped falling for it when sittercity sent me a warning that this user was sending fraudulent messages but it came close, the next step was having his associate send me money. Crazy jerks out there.

Anonymous said...

I have been emailed by him as well and had a funny feeling about it. Thankfully i found out it was a scam before i was taken advantage of. He was using the name Alfred Atakora. I hope they catch him!!

Sandra said...

Be aware that now he is using another name. Now he is Patrick Osei. The first e-mail that I received from him (in Nov '08) was with the name Jeremy Silver. I got suspicious because is the same e-mail with only few facts changed. As the first youTube video shown in this blog, it's too good to be true and that's why I didn't answer him back... But I must say that since I received it through Sittercity, he made me doubt at first!!!.

Anonymous said...

As Sandra said, we too received an email from him under the name of Patrick Osei through SitterCity.

I was curious enough to do a little digging on him through google and thankfully came across this site before it went any further.

Anonymous said...

i also was a victim of this guy. his using the name PATRICK OSEI. i just got the email where he says i'be been accepted. i was really excited but i was a little suspicious because he was terminated as a member of sittercity TWICE. then, he sent me two identical emails, but the address was different, so i started thinking about a fraud. so i started looking for info in google nd found this site. THANKS SO MUCH! u saved me from this guy.

Lythenna said...

His newest email is patrickosei@me.com DON'T TALK TO HIM! And if you already are tell him you know about his scam and report him! BLOCK HIM- STOP TALKING TO HIM AFTER THAT!
This guy is a fricken psycho!
And I sent him this site- showing that people know of his scamming!

Anonymous said...

This guy is now using the name Patrick Osei and is an international investor from Belgium living in Malaysia and moving to West Linn, Oregon. I have not received the check yet, just the instruction to purchase the Nintendo DS and games. I'd love to help catch this creep but am not sure what to do next. Any suggestions? I was contacted by him through Sittercity.

Anonymous said...

Be aware that he is using the name Patrick Osei . Thank God when I recived the 3 Money Orders for a sum of 3000$ I got suspicious and my husband went straight to the Police. Please report this scam so others are not going to be victims.!!!!

Anonymous said...

this jerk is trying to scam my best friend becareful people out there are so terrible.my friend recieve a 3000.00 boucher from patrick osei associate the stmps of his letter is from new york. he is scamming lots of people in sitter city ,just becare people I wish he will go to jail for what he is doing to people who is working so hard for their money.

Anonymous said...

I was just scammed by him as well. He seemed very convincing and myself and my family are very upset. I feel so stupid. I reported it to the fbi and I am going to the police tomorrow. He got $2,000 but I am fighting to get it back as it was fradulent. What a sicko.

Anonymous said...

Also.. was anyone able to retrieve their money that he scammed out of you.

Simply Latina said...

Hi

I just got the same e-mail under the name of Shawn Michels.. I kind it felt it was a scam, because of the amount of money he was offering and also because...I got the "job" without any previous meeting..who let their children with strangers?.. I hope they get caught!!